Skip to main content

CD review: 'In Light of Dark Days' - Demonszone

You know something, I really hate it when people give me EP’s to review. They always leave you wanting more, and that is a good thing? This is The Crawling’s In Light of Dark Days.

Seriously, I have just finished blaring the new EP from The Crawling and it just pisses me off that it is a 20 minute EP. Especially when it is this good. I mean, seriously! It just fucks me off something rotten.

The Crawling have a good steady sound that I just love. It is this slow, depressing but very catchy death metal sound. If you are familiar with it at all, you could compare it a little toReverend Bizarre. Especially the final track, Catatonic. A track that sounds like it would make the perfect soundtrack for someone who brung about the black plague and would happily sit there smiling at you amongst a pile of dead corpses. Though the other two tracks are just as good, if not better. My favourite of the three was definitely the more upbeat, The Right to Crawl. It reminded me a lot of the early days of Behemoth. That gloomy, criminally underrated And The Forests Dream Eternally period.

Though the band brand themselves as Slow Death, I would say they definitely resemble the black metal bands of old. They have that perfect blend of morbid melodies, crushing guitar riffs and tempo changes to keep the music interesting without it sounding the same thing over and over again. I liked the vocals especially. I personally have always enjoyed a deep growling singer who can still pronounce every word in a song. It makes things so much more enjoyable when it doesn’t sound like a microphone attached to your mothers vibrator.

Anyway onto the conclusion. I loved this three track EP. It shows a lot of promise for this band. Though I am a bit annoyed knowing I’m going to sit here itching until a full length album gets released. So Mr Clarke, Rainey and Beattie, you have my support and blessings. This is great work and I hope you keep it up.

9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CD review: 'Anatomy Of Loss' - Demonszone

ANATOMY OF LOSS is the debut album from the semi-sober Irish death metal band THE CRAWLING. A promising band with an even more promising album. After the release of their three track EP IN LIGHT OF DARK DAYS, I have been looking forward to hearing this record. In terms of style and sound, this album is very much more of the same. There is a vast selection of death metal riffing, each one being as catchy as the other thanks to having more emphasis on the rhythm rather then following the idiotic trend of how fast and extreme they could play. When the group aren’t thrashing out on their instruments, they are playing slow heavy chords that is best described as doom metal. These songs start off slow (a little too slow for my personal taste) and had they been a little longer, they would have been a little tedious. But THE CRAWLING seem to have enough common sense to realise that each song requires a good hook and just when things slow down, they burst into life with some mean riff. Both st...

LIVE review: Bloodstock 2016 - The Moshville Times

After hearing the last few songs of XII boar, I meandered over to the New Blood tent to catch the last bit of The Crawling (8) . Having a kind of doom sound mixed with death metal vocals, I was suitably impressed by them. The crowd present for them seemed to be too with a lot of folk banging their heads or fist pumping the air. Bloodstock 2016 – Friday (James’s view) The Moshville Times

CD review: 'Anatomy Of Loss' - GBHBL

Anatomy of Loss is all about mixing black metal vocals & that feeling of cold isolation with doom-laden riffs & beats. An Immaculate Deception brings all those sounds & adds a dirty, raw sound resulting in a strong opener. Let down only by its length, it gets a bit repetitive after a while. Poison Orange is a serious cut above though, its riffs dipped in the blackest tar & vocals ripped straight out of the devil’s mouth. This is some seriously doom-heavy stuff & even when things are sped up it just results in an even harder sound. What makes Anatomy of Loss such a surprising listen though is the variety in music on show. Acid on my Skin has a lovely upbeat melody only changing stance to a heavier effort during the choruses. It’s got some of the best drumming on the entire album & the vocals are simply amazing here. A hell of a song, a hell of an album. The variety continues with the stunning All Our Failings & The Right to Crawl. A duo that keep things me...